HOME Kenilworth Police Department History Kenilworth Police Calendar Mission Statement Feedback
Early Warning Policy

Internal Affairs
Year End 2019
Year End 2018
Year End 2017

Domestic Violence
Helpful Links
Identity Theft
PBA 135
Kenilworth Records
Firearms Permits and Registration

Internal Affairs Stats
Body Worn Cameras
Prison Rape Elimination Act
Domestic Violence Rights of Victims in New Jersey

You have the right to go to Court to get an order called a temporary restraining order (T.R.O.) which may protect you from more abuse by your attacker. The Officer who assists you with this information can tell you how to get a T.R.O.

The kinds of things a Judge can order in a T.R.O. may include:
  • that your attacker is temporarily forbidden from coming into the home you live in;
  • that your attacker is temporarily forbidden from having contact with you and/or your relatives;
  • that your attacker is temporarily forbidden from bothering you at work;
  • that your attacker has to pay temporary child support or support for you;
  • that you be given temporary custody of your children;
  • that your attacker pay you back any money you have to spend for medical treatment or repairs because of the violence;
  • There are other things the Court can order. The Court Clerk will explain the procedure to you and help you fill out the papers for a T.R.O. On weekends, holidays and others times when the Court is closed, you still have to right to get a T.R.O. The police officer who gives you this information can help you get in touch with a Judge who can give you a T.R.O.
  • You also have the right to file a criminal complaint against your attacker. The police officer will tell you how to file a criminal complaint.
If you need assistance:

For emergency shelter, counseling or referrals, call the domestic violence shelter in your County. You may also call the County Office of Victim-Witness advocacy. You may obtain information on lawyer referral by calling the local county Bar Association.